1/15/09

1x9 setup is fun

Hey, I just migrated my bike to a 1x9 setup, rode it a couple of times and I can tell you it's definitely cool!

I just wanted to have a simpler bike, and I've been considering removing the granny and outer chainrings from my crankset for a while, but I just did it a few weeks ago. What has been preventing me for doing it earlier was the fear of not having enough gear range for XC, but I just realized it would be OK. I also went through this post which gives plenty of useful information.

Here's a picture showing the whole stuff:


Let's talk about gears.
My crankset is now a single 32 teeth chainring. I have an 11-32 cassette, so the math is easy, I'm ranging from 1 to almost 3 gear ratio. With a regular 22-32-44 crankset and the same cassette, it was ranging from 0.67 to 4 gear ratio. These are obviously not the same ranges but:

1. I basically never use the last two gears at the top end
2. With a bike I enjoy more, I would ride better, and probably not need the last two gears at the bottom end :)
I didn't have to shorten the chain, just have a look a how the rear derailleur is positionned at highest and lowest gears:

Based on what I've read on various posts, a good chain tension is important to prevent chain jumps (not sure what a good chain tension should be, though).

I transformed my XTR crankset into a single speed one by removing the 22 teeth and 44 teeth chainrings.
Biggest issue with 1x9 setups is chain jumps.
I replaced the outer chainring with a BBG Superlight chainguide. I'm using no chainguide on the inner side so far, but I took two actions to prevent the chain from jumping on the inside:

1. I removed the spacer that was installed on the right side of the bottom bracket (this was used to replace an eventual E-type front derailleur) and moved it to the left side. This has the effect of moving the crankset a few millimeters on the left. Thus, the chainline is better aligned and the chain would jump inside less frequently (jumps on the outside are prevented by the chainguide I installed on the crankset).
2. I replaced the regular XTR 32 teeth chainring with a non-ramped, non-pinned Blackspire Mono Veloce chainring. It is said this would have a positive effect on the chain stability, I rode it a couple of times and I can tell it's true.
I considered installing an N-Gear Jump Stop but it wouldn't fit on my frame.

Here is some pictures of the chainguide I installed:


I found it kind of hard to get all those single-speed components (especially if you don't live in the US).
Here are the options available to you if you want a single-speed 32 teeth chainring (based on what I read on various posts):
You'll also probably need a chainguide:
So how did it go on the ground? Pretty well! I love the super-simple bike I'm riding now. No front derailleur, no associated shifter on my handlebar. I realized my rear derailleur shifter is able to shift 4 or 5 gears at one time - so shifting has become simple and easy, you don't have to think about front-rear combinations, just push the shifter lever when it's too hard on your legs!


I rode this setup without a single-speed chainring in the first place, and also because I haven't installed any chainguide on the inside, I had to be careful when going downhill - if I stayed on the lower gears the chain would have jumped out of the chainring in shaky grounds. Having installed a single-speed chainring just dramatically improved chain stability: no chain jumps at all, even when I'm going downhill on lower gears. Actually I think that the chainguide I installed on the outer side of the crankset may not be of any use.

Some additional pictures:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great. I'm working on building up a Scott Scale 40 and have settled on the 1x9 setup. Your post has helped me narrow down a few things.

Mike M said...

Take a look at Paul Components for a very nice chain guide for 1x9 setups - it solved my poblems.

Unknown said...

doing the 1x9 on my Scott spark. i did replace the rear cassette from 11-32 to a 11-36 due to living in north Georgia. this means you ride up and down hills all the damn time. i like it and will stick to it. why the hell would any one need three gears on crank. even sram is doing the 2x10 set up.